Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help! Sick Axolotl

Galeanthrope

Reaction score
I have 2 axolotls, 3.5 years old; 1 male gray, 1 female pink. I got them in July. They were both in small plastic bins for most of their life, but I've put them in a larger tank since I got them. They both have been being fed sinking carnivore pellets, but the male recently hasn't been eating them, but regurgitating them. He's getting really skinny! I have access to worms, and have been feeding him worms, which he WILL eat, but he's still super skinny.
Recently he developed a weird bump on his forehead that looks almost like a pimple- it's raised, and at the top there's a little clear/white part that looks like a whitehead.

I'm assuming it means he's sick. Any advice on food, which is not bothering my other axolotl at all, or the bump on his head?

Thanks!

Giuseppe

Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the bump? It may be normal development my wild type got a slightly bumpy forehead as he grew up. I would just continue feeding him as much as he will eat until he fattens up, I think wax works could help with that but don't make that his sole diet as they're too high in fat but they could help him put on some weight if you're very concerned.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!