The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 2nd October 2018   #1
Crnk29

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Crnk29 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaving my axolotls for 4/5 days

Hey guys!
I currently have 2 axies, both around a year old, and later this month i will be going out of town, unable to feed them for about 4 days. previously on shorter trips i have fed them well the day i leave and i pick up some ghost shrimp for them to snack on while i'm gone. If i feed them before i leave and pick up around 20 ghost shrimp for them the hunt and eat while im gone, should they be ok for that amount of time?
Thanks alot
Ben

Crnk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2018   #2
MnGuy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Leaving my axolotls for 4/5 days

Five days isn't too long to leave them unfed. I have a reef aquarium, a 10 gallon freshwater tank and three newts and white cloud minnows in a 20 long. I have left them all unfed for up to 7 days with no issues. Feed everyone well before you go, and feed well when you return.

If you're able to leave some live feeders in the tank, sure, go for it. But I'd also be careful about putting in so much that you risk the chance of overfeeding your axolotls, or, risk a nitrate spike if the feeders all die all of a sudden.

Good luck.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote