The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 11th October 2018   #1
Lunathelotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lunathelotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Does my axolotl have red leg? Or infection?

I have had two axolotls together for about a month now and everything was going smoothly until I noticed what looked like a bite on my lucys leg. It was a little bit red and seemed to have some pieces of skin missing so I tubbed him and have been doing 100% water changes and used some Indian almond leaves. This morning I woke up and his leg is blood red and so are his gills. The red also appears to be spreading through his body. Is this red leg? Or did he get super stressed and get an infection after my other axolotl bit him? Also if it is red leg is it possible my other axolotl will get it? Iíve included pictures of what it looked like Monday and then today. Iím really worried and feel absolutely awful that this has happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BD8A8CF8-06EC-439A-945F-F6392DD2ACEC.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	54478   Click image for larger version

Name:	DF09B894-00D0-49DD-B762-A5C7F070E9CD.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	54479  

Lunathelotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Does my axolotl have red leg? Or infection?

I don't have personal experience with red leg other than what I have read on here, but I'm thinking that it may be. Look around for a vet near you who has dealt with caudates or is confident identifying and treating red leg. I believe treatments can work, but from what I have seen it can often be fatal.
Keep this one away from your other axolotl and watch out for early signs on that one too.
Post your water parameters and temperature. Also the axolotl's diet. Any information so we can get an idea of the environment.

Tags
infection, red leg, sick axolotl