The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Jess
(jessshaleah)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jessshaleah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tank Size

Hi!

I have a 55 litre tank (14.5 gallons). Would this be an acceptable size for a juvenile axolotl? If so, what size/age of the axolotl would I need to upgrade the size? Iíll be getting a bigger tank next year regardless but I just wanted to know when I definitely should start thinking about doing that. Also, what is an ideal tank size for an adult?

Thank you!

jessshaleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Giuseppe

Nationality:
Rep: Giuseppe has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Tank Size

Good rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first axolotl + 10 for each additional. A juvi should be ok in that tank, when I first got my 5-6" he was in a 10 gallon for about two months before I was able to upgrade and he didn't seem uncomfortable, but when I did move him to a 29 he used the space!

Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #3
Cerrin Molkin
(colorfultrolls)

Nationality:
Rep: colorfultrolls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tank Size

I agree with Giusppe! My tank is a 33 gallon and my juvenile (5 inches) uses up all of the space that he's given as well as all of the hides that are scattered around.

colorfultrolls is offline   Reply With Quote