The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 15th September 2018   #1
ghostlyskiess

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ghostlyskiess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why are my axolotl's gill tips white?

Hello!
so, i have a male axolotl, and i have had him for a little over 8 months. he's in a large tank with a few other axolotls, and he gets fed angleworms twice a day. today though, he is reluctant to eat and the tips of his gills are turning a white/gray color. i'm really worried about this- i haven't had to deal with any sicknesses with them yet, so i don't know what i'm doing. he hasn't been floating or anything, and he isn't showing any other signs of fungus. what could this be, and how can i fix this? any help would be appreciated!

(also, unrelated thing- he's had this little dark bump on his side ever since i got him? he doesn't seemed bothered by it, but i just want to know if i should be worried. sorry for asking so many questions!)

ghostlyskiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and informationHayleyy has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Why are my axolotl's gill tips white?

Post some pics if you can so we can see. Is the white on top of the skin or does it look like it's the actual skin itself?