Dusting food items

oregon newt

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Will
Are crickets the only food item that needs to be dusted when being fed to amphibians? If so, what types of vitamins do they need?

Crickets and Drosophila (melanogaster and hydei) are commonly dusted with both calcium and vitamin/mineral supplements. What you are trying to acheive by dusting is adjusting the calcium:phosphorus ratio to be around 1.5:1. I use Repcal and Herpivite to supplement, but rarely do so with the salamanders as worms form the bulk of the captive diet (they are nearly perfect foods, high in protein with ideal calcium:phosphorus ratios). The dendrobatids, however, get supplemented regularly as Drosophila form the staple, supplemented by springtails, bean beetles and various field sweepings.

See: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

Some of my salamander-friends in Holland had the experience that juvenile salamandra's developped non-functional back legs, probably to a lack of calcium and vitamins. So I dust the red mosquito larvae I feed them too every 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Rob - is dusting aquatic food useful? I thought that the biggest part of the dust would be washed away in the water and gut loading / injection would be the supplementation of choice for aquatic food (what might be difficult for bloodworms).

I feed the worms to my morphlings on land, there I dust them. On a wet paper towel they stay alive for days, depending on the quality of the food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back