Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bean beetles (Callosobrochus maculatus)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Do any of you use bean beetles for salamander food? I picked some up at the Mid Atlantic Reptile show and figured I'd give them a try.

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I use them now and then and you can find some threads on this food when you search for "bean weevils".
Some of my smaller species take them (f.i. Neurergus) when they got used to them. The beetles have a rather hard shell.
To breed these bean weevils you should look for black eye beans (over here we get then on asia shops), in my experience they prefer warm temperatures over 20 °C and some light.

coendeurloo

Reaction score
I breed them too. They need only the beans, and rather high temps - I'd say more like 25 degrees if you want the lifecycle to go faster. Light is not neccesary, as this is a pest specie that thrives on stored beans.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve used both bean weevils and grain weevils which are much smaller but essentially have the same lifecycle, although in grain rather than beans. I agree with Tim, my eurycea like them and I’d image anything with a good tongue flick would take them.

You need 25C to get a good cycle speed and by cooling some cultures down temporarily you can get them out of sync giving you an almost endless supply.

http://www.beanbeetles.org/

ajc

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
They tend to climb! Be prepared for weevils wandering around your house ;-)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!