Can you feed axolotls caterpillars?

GROWMEZ

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Will
I've got tons of caterpillars destroying my garden. Is it ok to feed them to my axolotl? I gave her one and she wolfed it down

I have tons of caterpillars too in my garden. I'm really not sure about feeding them to an axolotl. One of the things I would be concerned about is that caterpillars have pincer like mouths. These sort of mouths can inflict damage to your axolots insides much the same way as mealworms do.
Some caterpillars are also toxic.
Brightly coloured larvae types tend to be toxic.

Last edited:
Hi Growmez
Many Australian catapillars are poisonous and many have spines . I think it would be wise to try and identify what they are first before feeding just to be safe .
I'm sure the right ones would make an excellent treat .

If you do find a type which is safe to feed and you have got advice from someone who has fed them to an axolotl just be sure to remove the caterpillars head or crush it. They have the same mouth as a mealworm. The mandibles can cause damage to the inside of the axolotls stomach.

yeah, most ones in aussie are spiky, and overall scary looking, maybe cut its head off or find out more about the species or type

:Dthe catterpilers in england have wired backs like hedgehogs spices so be carful withc 1 you chose

I've got tons of caterpillars destroying my garden. Is it ok to feed them to my axolotl? I gave her one and she wolfed it down

I would not recommend feeding of wild caught caterpillars of any kind to amphibians. The insect larvae itself may not be inherently toxic to axolotls, but the plants it eats could be.The risk of pesticide contamination is extremely high also even if you do not use any yourself. Fuzzy, spiky caterpillars are generally always toxic/irritating/unpalatable everywhere in the world.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back