Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Using egg cartons for cricket hides? Help!

salamandergal

Reaction score
I read that these could be used to house crickets. Then i found out that they could have salmanella. (sp?) My salamander have already eaten some of these crickets.
What am i supposed to do , kill the remaining crickets and start over? What if my sals have some
thing.
I had no idea about this until just now. :(

ferret_corner

Reaction score
I raise laying chickens. I collect their eggs and wash them for resale. I belong to 3 message boards about chickens and in 7 years no one has ever said they got salmonella from their eggs or the egg cartons that we recycle from friends and neighbors who purchased commercial eggs.

I have to say its possible there is salmonella in an egg carton but I'd also say its rather small. Commercial eggs go through a much more stringent washing regime than my home produced eggs.

for that matter any time raw meat or an egg shell touched your counter top - it could leave salmonella behind too.

i was just browsing the 'net - your dog and cat can carry salmonella too, you can get it in your garden. Its just everywhere.

So please don't worry. I think you can relax.

One more little thing, if this is cardboard that came with the crickets - it never touched an egg. Cricket farms buy egg carton shaped cardboard in huge quantities and stores often sell the crickets in baggies with a small piece cut away from the shipping supplies.

good luck.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Salmonella won't hurt your salamanders. If you are concerned about salmonella passing from your salamanders to YOU (or other household members), remember that we have to always assume that all reptiles and amphibs could carry salmonella at any time.

In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about reusing egg cartons for crickets.

salamandergal

Reaction score
Sharon and jennewt,
Thank you for the reassuring words. I did get a little panicky , I guess!:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!