Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Trout Worms - Now at Wal-Mart

ravenous

Reaction score
Anyone use these? I bought my first conainer 5 months ago and my newts are loving them as much as earthworms. Theyre the same look only smaller, which I like as my Notos heads are small.

The only thing is that these scukers stink and release a white milky substance, I dont know what it is or if its good/bad for my newts. None have died though so thats good.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I have also seen these a long time ago but I am 90% positive they are red wigglers. They are stinky and the milky substance is bitter in taste which might make them untouchable by fussy newts. I have used them and found that sometimes newts do spit them out but usually take them.

Mitch

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried the trout worms once, but a number of my newts rejected them, so I've stuck with chopping the Canadian nightcrawlers. But if your newts love them, there's no harm in using them.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I use these as well and have noticed that mainly only my North American caudates will eat them with any regularity. With my European species it seems to vary day by day and my Cynops species just will not have anything to do with them.

merk199

Reaction score
Maybe it is a different variety of trout worm in my area. Look like small earthworms. Any of my stock that eats worms already readily accepts them. I have T marms, c. cyranus when I can cut small enough, and s.s. gallaica eating them. My only problem with them is that they are relatively small so a container of 20 does not go all that far.

ZephAmp

Reaction score
From my experience, these could either be red wigglers or a larger species commonly called "European nightcrawlers." (Eisenia hortensis.)
My clawed frogs have only had problems when they have stomachfuls of these.

ravenous

Reaction score
Ive noticed that these guys REALLY fight. When I cut them up for bite size they wiggle and flail around everywhere. The other night I gave my two largest newts 2 of the smaller worms, whole. One of them puked it up, left it overnight, than ate it later. Im guessing cause it kept moving in his gut.:eek:

merk199

Reaction score
Hmm my S.S. Gallactica have no trouble swallowing them down whole. The trout worms I cut up do fight and flail as well but no more than any other type of worm. The only real fighting I have seen is my c cyranus fighting over the worm pieces. My T marms are kind of lazy but they greedily eat them as well. I am guessing what they call a trout worm in my area is different across the country. When I cut them I get no nasty secretions, or other distasteful signs. I'll have to check our local Walmart to see if they sell them, and if so if they are different from what I am using.

spawn

Reaction score
I have used these on frogs that aren't taking interest in the lethargic movements of the Canadian nightcrawlers - the bigger guys. They do wriggle around a lot, and so far no fuss over this milky discharge.

misslyss

Reaction score
I found the same trout worms at Wal-Mart as well and have been buying them ever since! I think they are young earthworms..? Found some escapees in my terrestrial set up that have grown quite a bit. As far as I can tell the ones I have don't really have an odor? Haven't gotten close enough for a sniff though. :p

kuphie

Reaction score
i was looking these worms up just yesterday to find out if they would be good food for my axolotls. in my area everyone calls them "red worms or red wigglers" but its all the same thing, trout worms, red wigglers, ect. the only reason i didn't try to feed them was this comment on Wikipedia "When roughly handled, they exude a pungent liquid, thus the specific name fetida meaning fetid. This is presumably a defense." but it sounds like you all have tried them at some point with little to no problem.

Eisenia foetida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Redworms or Red Wigglers From New York Worms

DeCypher

Reaction score
I also have gotten Wal-Mart's trout worms and they are going pretty fast. They do smell kinda funny :)

chipstone

Reaction score
I have heard of a technique of handling the red worms first; then soaking or rinsing in water before feeding. This supposedly significantly reduces the defense secretions. Anybody tried this?

Denikar

Reaction score
Now that winter is upon us I bought some of these a week ago and none of my 3 noto's like them at all. Couldn't even get them bite once. Must smell funny or something.

Sallermander

Reaction score
My newt didn't even give a chance to release it... Okay... Maybe he did, but as soon as I dropped the worm, he nommed it up... Ofcourse... It did fight quite a bit so the newt was having trouble swallowing it, I just crippled the worm and gave it back to my newt, then he had no problem

dragongirl413

Reaction score
My axolotl loves these things. I don't notice a smell, but I always give them a sound rinsing before feeding them to him. He had difficulty swallowing Canadian nightcrawlers in the past, and rather then continuing to chop the nightcrawlers up for him, I switched to the trout worms. It is unfortunate I have to feed two big ones or three smaller ones to fill him up. Maybe I'll give the nightcrawlers another try now that he's grown a bit. Both are available at Walmart and many of the gas/petrol- stations in my area. Both thrive in the refrigerator in my experience.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1