Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms for axies

ZoeT94

Reaction score
My axolotl's seem to love these wriggly creatures and eat them really fast! But I have a few questions regarding them:

1 . Do I need to supplement their worm intake with a powder or anything?
2 . Do they need to have more than just worms in their diets?
3 . If I put some worms in a tub, with mud and weeds ( for food) would they breed and make me some for food for my axies?

Thanks in advance! Z

zoezakella

Reaction score
My axolotl's seem to love these wriggly creatures and eat them really fast! But I have a few questions regarding them:

1 . Do I need to supplement their worm intake with a powder or anything?
2 . Do they need to have more than just worms in their diets?
3 . If I put some worms in a tub, with mud and weeds ( for food) would they breed and make me some for food for my axies?

Thanks in advance! Z

Heh Zoe

LOL axies just LURVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEE wriggly worms :)

1) No they dont a nice worm from a pesticide free source is all good!!
2) Worms should be their staple diet so in theory no but if you want to vary it you can use bloodworm or trout/salmon/earthworm/shrimp pellets :)
3) I personally use a plastic tub with compost, old leaves, a bit of sand for digestion, and any fruit/veg scraps :)

emz

Reaction score
I ended up making a mini composter with a large ice cream tub, compost and banana skins etc now im never short of worms! must be over 20 in there at the moment! So glad i did much easier than digging in the garden. It was taking me about half an hour to find just one in my garden!

ZoeT94

Reaction score
Yippeee!

Well at the moment, I am digging them up in the garden, and hoping they don't eat them all... but they are eating them, leaving me nothing in my little plastic tub...lol
So theoretically, if I leave some worms in the tub, for about a week or so, with some bannana skins or weeds they should breed?

emz

Reaction score
Yes they can breed quite fast i read on a website that they can lay about two or three cocoons a week and that they hatch in about twenty one days but it depends on how big the composter is. Im sure i have spotted a few tiny ones in mine. I have also read that red wrigglers are better for breeding in composters. Luckily a family friend had a composter in there garden so he gave me a handful of them to get me going maybe you could ask around or ebay is great for buying worms they are very cheap for a good amount.

memojo1979

Reaction score
There's a recommendation for an eBay seller in the recommendations area of caudata. I started the thread, but other people are also saying how great the seller is - I've got my worms in an old popcorn tub + they're defiantely breeding (saw 2 white / clear babies up the side of the tub only this morning!) I used the soil the worms arrived in, a bit of sand + some coco fibre stuff, then just chuck some fruit or veg scraps in whenever they've disposed of the previous treat ;)

snootyfox

Reaction score
Sarah, when I got my latest axie, she had not ever eaten any live food in her overcrowded pet shop tank, and totally freaked out when I offered her worms. She would try and bit them, and then spit them out the minute one wriggled. I just don't think she'd ever known anything to wriggle in her mouth before! Earthworms are the best things that they can eat, so you must try as soon as possible to get them on the wriggly diet. I found this out totally accidentally but it's saved me from completely going nuts from my anorexic axie - if you rinse an earthworm under warm (not even hot) water, it will die very quickly. It will also give off an almost cooked aroma (yuk, I know) but when I did this and thought I'd let Elvira try it - she had a few attempts at getting it in her mouth then eventually settled on it and she's been on the lookout for more ever since. Try that method for a bit until your axies get used to it, then move them onto live worms so that they learn how to handle that wriggling.
Also if your guys have a pref for prawns, try them on some live river shrimp. They are fast little f-ers, so I hold one tight and let my axolotl come and take it from my hands when he's sussed it out. You can get them from 'out the back' in a lot of aquatic stores - or you can go and catch them yourself but I'd recommend quarantining them for quite a while if you do that.

Best of luck!!

No1Mustang

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have had my Axie about a week now, he too was never privvie to live wriggly foods at the pet store and after reading on various sites that Axies love them I tried it, I went into my neighbours garden (with her permission of course) found a biggish worm and a small one, I dropped the small one in just to see and Axle ignored it, I put the second one in the water nearer to him and the worm wriggled out of my fingers and fell right by his head, the worm got all flustered and wriggled itself around Axles front arm, Axle looked at it and snapped BOTH of them up in the same gulp, needless to say he devoured them and looks real happy, Now I now he can and will eat worms I need to persuade my lovely wife to let me keep a small compost box somewhere in the flat where she can't see or smell it lol,
I have only had my Axie a week or so and am thoroughly loving the experience :bowl:

sonya023

Reaction score
i heard worms, especally earth worms wash out there systems and gett rid of constapation, i am look for a cure for what i think is a constapated axie, is this true??:confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sonya, the cure for your axolotl's constipation is to put him in the fridge, and get rid of your gravel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1