Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can axolotls eat regular shrimp?

Isabella

Reaction score
This may sound kinda stupid, but I was wondering if axolotls could eat bits of real raw shrimp? Since they can eat beef heart it thought it could make sense...:p

SnotOtter

Reaction score
Pellets and earthworms make up the bulk of their diet but mine love chopped cocktail shrimp, krill, squid and scallops. Probably not best as a sole food source. Everything in moderation.

auntiejude

Reaction score
They can't have beef heart....

But they can have raw fish, shellfish and crustaceans.

Isabella

Reaction score
Pellets and earthworms make up the bulk of their diet but mine love chopped cocktail shrimp, krill, squid and scallops. Probably not best as a sole food source. Everything in moderation.

Thank you! I was just wondering if I could give him small portions of it, just as a little treat :D This was very helpful!

Isabella

Reaction score
They can't have beef heart....

But they can have raw fish, shellfish and crustaceans.

Oh, I've heard stories of people feeding them strips of beef heart/liver, but I don't know too much about that.

You said they can eat raw fish, shell fish and crustaceans... Could I feed any creature in those categories or are there certain restrictions? (Everything in moderation, of course!)

And I'm just curious :D I probs sound super dumb.. :p

auntiejude

Reaction score
Oh, I've heard stories of people feeding them strips of beef heart/liver, but I don't know too much about that.

You said they can eat raw fish, shell fish and crustaceans... Could I feed any creature in those categories or are there certain restrictions? (Everything in moderation, of course!)
Yes, any type of unsmoked fresh raw fish is fine, raw scallops, raw clams, raw shellfish of almost any kind - just remove bones or shells and cut into strips if needed. Prawns, crayfish etc should be deshelled and cut up. Raw squid can be used too.

But in all honesty unless they are just offcuts from your regular food I wouldn't but any in just for your axies, it could get expensive. If you want an interesting snack for your axies try live shrimp - fun to chase and eat for the axies, great to watch axies on the hunt for you.

Isabella

Reaction score
Yes, any type of unsmoked fresh raw fish is fine, raw scallops, raw clams, raw shellfish of almost any kind - just remove bones or shells and cut into strips if needed. Prawns, crayfish etc should be deshelled and cut up. Raw squid can be used too.

But in all honesty unless they are just offcuts from your regular food I wouldn't but any in just for your axies, it could get expensive. If you want an interesting snack for your axies try live shrimp - fun to chase and eat for the axies, great to watch axies on the hunt for you.

Thank you so much! I'll definitely try some of these and tell you how it goes :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!