Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra s. gallaica/bejarae

R

rubén

Some pics of the complex gallaica/bejarae:

These individuals were found next to the frontier of Spain with Portugal.

81814.jpg

81815.jpg

81816.jpg

81817.jpg

81818.jpg

81819.jpg

81820.jpg

81821.jpg

R

rodrigo

Simply impressive. Never saw so much red in a salamandra. Absolutely stunning animals. btw...how big are these? I know they are bigger than the northern forms but how bigger? You know....each book i have gives different information....

TristanH

Reaction score
These are really stunning. I used to keep some gallaica, but they were nowhere near as spectacular as these.

Good to see some amphibians doing well in the Wild too - I hear chytrid fungus is affecting Spanish fire salamanders?

carpy

Reaction score
yea, they are stunning pictures!

i have a pair of gallaica, however, the male has no red at all, and the female only has a little bit of red.

still they are legends in their own right! And i still think mine are stunners!

Alex

bluejay

Reaction score
Great pictures ruben.
Did you find them under some log or lying about? By the look of their skin i dare say they were ready for their summer sleep.
I don't know it has anything to do with anything but all of the salamanders i found in their estivation had much more red then the ones actives in the winter.

iberian_guest

Reaction score
TristanH and Alex; there are so many varieties of gallaica in the Iberian peninsula but... In my experience, I could tell you that the populations from northwest of Spain (Galicia, where the ssp. was described for the first time) doesn't have a high proportion of red; however shows a pattern consisting in a lot of small yellow spots.

Regarding the chytrid fungus, for the moment only affects to one small population of Salamandra salamandra almanzoris (and not severely). Only Alytes obstetricans seems to be specially sensitive to the chytrids...

Samuel; I found the salamanders going out during a storm, in Cáceres, walking down the forest of Quercus suber: "Dehesa", chamado em portugues "Montado", correto? :-s.

I agree what you said, Samuel, surely the animals were ready for the aestivation, but this year the weather is absolutely crazy, as you know. The winter was quite mild and the spring really could! at least here...

carpy

Reaction score
Rubén:

i enclose a picture of my gallaica, and yes, they are exactly as you describe, so i presume they are from the northwest!

Attachments

• CIMG2197F.JPG
    CIMG2197F.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 1,547
  • CIMG2200F.JPG
    CIMG2200F.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 722
  • CIMG2208F.JPG
    CIMG2208F.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 986

bluejay

Reaction score
Yes, a quercus forest is a montado :)
It sure has been crazy. I was expecting to be much hotter my now. The pygmaeus are still about now.
I do have some pictures of some salamanders i found in my backyard. From the back patterns i found that the same salamanders kept returning to the same spots (especially males). Do you know of any studys conducted on sedentarism in Salamandra salamandra?

iberian_guest

Reaction score
Hi Samuel

No, I don't have any document about this. But I agree what do you think about the tendence of Salamandra to return every year to the same places. The activity, feeding and courtship is developed in a small area, specially when the environment have a mediterranean influence, I think.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!