Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra s bejarae tadpoles

benw

Reaction score
I went away last weekend and whilst i was gone my female S s bejarae deposited 4 of these in the water dish, i was hoping for more, but as its her first year of breeding im pleased.

Comments all welcomed.

Ben

Attachments

• P1010460.jpg
    P1010460.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 22,809

marco

Reaction score
Dont make the mistake of presuming thats all, earlier this year my female terrestris deposited 3 larvae, then a week later she dropped ten.. kept doing that for about a month.

benw

Reaction score
Thanks for comments.

She has still only had the 4, and they are doing very well, eating white worms, bloodworms and daphnia.
They were about 25mm- 1 inch- long when born, so not too bad a size.

They are being housed individually to prevent legs getting mistaken for food shall we say!!

The adult female is still well rounded so hopefully there will be more, but im not worried if there isnt, i think my female gigliolli will be next to eanter the 'birthing pool'

Ben

benw

Reaction score
Well its been a while now but here is the same tadpole as above that had now morphed, and is now approximately 2 inches long.

It, and the others are feeding on whiteworms and micro crickets.

It will be fun to see how the colours and patterns develop.

Ben

Attachments

• S s bejarae metamorph.jpg
    S s bejarae metamorph.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 693

tdimler

Reaction score
Ben,
Thanks for posting the photos. That morphs looks particularly large and healthy.

Travis

benw

Reaction score
Here you go, Steve,
Another pic for you, the colours are starting to gradually coming through on the older one in the foreground

Ben

Attachments

• 2 ss bejarae metemorphs.jpg
    2 ss bejarae metemorphs.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 761

sergé

Reaction score
25 mm is rather small, but as they are the first larvae it is more normal. Anyway, keep an eye on the weather. Salamandra's seem to react on weather conditions outside. There will be more larvae, but if it is here first batch you can also expect some unfertilized eggs.

benw

Reaction score
Hi Serge

I am inclined to think it was her first clutch,as there were some unfertilised eggs, as you said. But i am happy with them, and i look forward to some more another time.

Thanks for the comment

Ben

benw

Reaction score
Just another update to show the baby fires and see how the patterns are developing.

They are eating well and feeding on 2nd instar crickets and chopped earthworms, and im pleased how they are coming along.

Thanks for looking

Ben

Attachments

• P1010743.jpg
    P1010743.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,769

marco

Reaction score
They look like their doing really well, strange how there only ended up being the four. Their colours are coming along nicely too.

How do you keep your adults by the way if you dont mind me asking.

benw

Reaction score
I think it was the females first clutch so not too worried, there were a few unfertilised eggs, so will see for next time.

These adults, along with 2 adult pairs of gigliolli and algira, are kept in a natural setting with bark etc and shallow pool. (pic below)

Ben

Attachments

• gigliolli setup.jpg
    gigliolli setup.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 926
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1