Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water changes

bfreya101

Reaction score
Hi, I've recently got a pair of axolotls in a 160 L (42 gallons) tank and was wondering how often I am suppose to change the water and how to do so. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Mine is a little smaller and I change around 20% a week. The best way is to get an aquarium siphon and have some buckets handy. Make up some fresh water with dechlorinator and use the siphon to get the water back into the tank. If your tank is too high up for the siphon to work you can pour the water slowly in from the bucket. I only say slowly so it doesn't disrupt the axies/decorations. Sometimes I take my axies out and put them in a tub while I do it which can make it easier.
I have a big bin/tank from bunnings that I keep the used water in which I then use on my garden, if you're water conscious.
Make sure before you start taking water out you turn off the filter and any other pumps you have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!