Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding

jam87

Reaction score
For an adult Pleuro. How many Nightcrawlers should I feed him per week? They're pretty big and he bloats up after 1

Last edited:

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I feed my Pleuro a night crawler twice a week (one on Wed and one on Sat). While I think she could probably eat the entire thing at a go, I do cut the worm up into about 4 pieces. I also think she could eat way more than one worm at a sitting, but she has a huge appetite and is pretty chunky, so I limit her intake :)

I have had tubs of night crawlers last for more than a month, and other tubs die within a few days - it seems to be hit or miss for me. But I seem to have the most success with them if I keep them in their original substrate media in the door of the fridge where there is no risk of them freezing (sometimes things shoved to the back of my fridge get too cold). That being said, if the media the worms are packed in seems too wet, I have replaced it with damp organic potting soil or coir because too wet media seems to be a recipe for night crawler death.

Good luck! I think it's great you are providing your newt with such a great food source and I hope your worms last until your newt can eat 'em all up!

HJ

Hail0594

Reaction score
I usually feed my Newt one red wiggler worm a day. The Newt will always welcome food but I've lost frogs that enjoyed food a little too much so I prefer to keep it to a set feeding schedule.

Attachments

• IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 409
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!