Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha Granulosa

sde

Reaction score
The cloaca on animal in the last picture looks undeveloped, if it was a female it would be cone shaped and if it was a male it would be bulgier ( even though they aren't breeding ). Thus I believe they are still to young the accurately sex, but if I had to guess I would say that last one is a male. The other one appears to have a male characteristic tail, though it is hard to tell leg length in that photo, which is another good indicator.
Always nice to see this species, thanks for the update Julia :) They have come along nicely.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll try and take a photo, I am pretty sure I have both sexes. I recently moved them into my shed and so far they seem quite happy.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Still stalking them... if they don't co-operate soon, I will attempt capture for a photo shoot at the weekend..:blob:

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the best I could get with out fishing them out etc. They rarely appeared together, when they did, they where proving rather shy about showing their cloaca. If I can get better shots I will add them :)

Attachments

• 20151108_142806.jpg
    20151108_142806.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 555
  • 20151108_142838.jpg
    20151108_142838.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 20151107_163156.jpg
    20151107_163156.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 448

sde

Reaction score
I think you have a pair there :)
The one is definitely a male, but the other one ( on the bottom in amplexus ) appears to be female, thought a cloaca shot would confirm it.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I wandered out into my shed this evening and came across my male doing the oddest little shimmy and a very extended cloaca. I realised that he may be depositing spermataphore, but my dodgy eye sight could not see any sign. I looked across at my female an could see that she had picked up already :) . So far I haven't seen any eggs laid over the years, but fingers crossed maybe I will now :)

P.s I'm shocked its been 3 years since I have updated this...how time flies.

Bismarck

Reaction score
do not be discouraged Re: Taricha Granulosa

Hi,

That is about the saddest story I have heard about a beautiful batch of 10 Tarichas. Just do not be discouraged. You may have gotten a bad batch and it does happen. I bought Kaisers from a professional that breeds them and admitted to me that his "years crop" of new Kaisers did not survive. I still have the three I, originally, bought from him doing well, living fat, and not breeding at all. It goes to show you that sometimes whether it is nature versus nurture and sheer luck come into play. If you still like those Tarichas, I say get an entire new vivarium for them and take your time to make it perfect. This will inspire you to have a new clan of Tarichas come in and walking all over in their new place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!