Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frogs have swollen up and died?

Jamesthenewt

Reaction score
Hi all
The winter has cleared up and it was terrible in scotland. I checked my pond and found three dead common frogs. They have swollen up and are almost about to burst.

How did this happen?

Was it a parasite?

Thanks James :)

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It's more likely they died from the cold, if it was indeed a terrible winter. That they are so bloated means they've probably just been dead a while.

Emily1

Reaction score
It's more likely they died from the cold, if it was indeed a terrible winter. That they are so bloated means they've probably just been dead a while.
Yeah, when dead things are in water for a while they tend to get bloated and look puffy.
So sad about the frogs though :( just nature I suppose.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

herpvet

Veterinarian
Reaction score
Hi all
The winter has cleared up and it was terrible in scotland. I checked my pond and found three dead common frogs. They have swollen up and are almost about to burst.

How did this happen?

Was it a parasite?

Thanks James :)

Hi,

Could be all sorts of things, and as previously stated the bloating may well be postmortem. Could potentially be something infectious as well though.

Just want to draw your attention to the Garden Wildlife health project (via Froglife - Froglife - Leaping forward for reptiles and amphibians) - they take reports of wildlife deaths and you may wish to submit data to them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!