The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 8th May 2014   #1
idontthinkso

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: idontthinkso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Helps identify my Japanese newts

Is it possible to say these are sasayame ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7747 (Kopie).JPG
Views:	188
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	37350   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7764 (Kopie).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	37351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8620 (Kopie).JPG
Views:	211
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	37352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8621 (Kopie).JPG
Views:	226
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	37353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8816 (Kopie).JPG
Views:	190
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	37354  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8953 (Kopie).JPG
Views:	228
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	37355  

idontthinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014   #2
Seth
(sde)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 14
Rep: sde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.orgsde is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Helps identify my Japanese newts

I don't have much experience with Japanese newts, but to me they look like C. pyrrhogaster. -Seth

Old 9th May 2014   #3
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

They do look like classic C. pyrrhogaster Sasayame race, but you can never know for sure unless you know what locality they came from.

Old 9th May 2014   #4
idontthinkso

Nationality:

Ok, than i won't put them together with the sasayame i have, to prevent 'hybrid' of different subspecies. I have them both in a 60cm tank now, they are Lucky

Old 9th May 2014   #5
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I agree they look like typical sasayamae. Look out for the males courting and putting a hind leg over the females head during the process.

I think Jen's advice is best. Not having locality data it is always a good idea to not assume.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014   #6
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

They do look like my C. p sasayama, although there were some identical looking newts for sale last year that were apparently collected on Kyushu so I agree with everyone else, you can never be 100% sure.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014   #7
FrogEyes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Sasayama is in Kyushu, but the color traits of C.sasayamae can occur in some populations of other species. Locality is critical for Cynops, given that species names and boundaries are not firmly established yet.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014   #8
idontthinkso

Nationality:

Thanks all .