Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to Newts. Please comment on my setup

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to the newt world, but I have been doing my reading. I am currently waiting for a delivery of 3-4 Fire Belly Newts. I started with a 10 gallon aquarium, and quickly decided to grab a 20 gallon long. I started with reptile carpet as a base, which was recommended by a fellow whos videos I have been watching on youtube. I placed a few rocks on the bottom, placed a couple pieces of driftwood, one I even wrapped with java moss, I have a few fake plants, and 6 or 7 real ones, and I threw a small turtle dock in the back left corner. Attached below are photos of the set up. Hoping to get some constructive criticism from the experienced community. Thanks guys!

All_zpsprujghtm.jpeg

Left_zpsi66aqvnc.jpeg

Middle_zpsg7nutqul.jpeg

Right_zps6dnig2jg.jpeg

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
A few tips. 1. Get a screen on that tank. Fire belly newts will climb right out of there. 2. Get rid of the carpet so your newts don't get trapped under it and die. Add a half inch of clean sand or keep it bare bottom 3. Make sure your light bulb is 6500k for your plants. It should be on the back of the package.

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
You could also raise the water level quite a bit, to nearly the top.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, some kind of escape proof cover is essential! Also, remove the carpet, it has no benefits and will make cleaning a nightmare. These types of aquatic newts spend most of their time hanging in the plants, so really don't mind a bare glass bottom, but a shallow layer of play sand would look nicer if the tank is on display in your home. it's not the worst first attempt I've seen by a long way, I would add more live plants and more water like Aaron says. Otherwise just be sure to keep a close eye on water quality until the tank cycles.

Last edited:

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for not ripping on me for posting to the wrong sub! I realized what I did after I hit post. Also thank you for the advice. I will be taking it very seriously and after work I will head out and grab some more supplies such as a screen lid ( I have a plexi cover right now), more plants, and if my light isnt good enough a new light. I will also get rid of the carpet and raise the water up. Until I landed no this forum, I couldnt find much else for info on keeping these cute little guys. I think I will stick to a bare bottom for now. Thanks again everyone!

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
May I also add, you mentioned something about videos. Do you mean IHTW Reptiles... Hopefully not. He is wrong! Please don't listen to ANYTHING he says! Please follow a reliable care sheet!

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
May I also add, you mentioned something about videos. Do you mean IHTW Reptiles... Hopefully not. He is wrong! Please don't listen to ANYTHING he says! Please follow a reliable care sheet!

That was exactly who I meant. He has pretty much the only informational videos I have seen. Thank you for the heads up, I will ignore what I learned there then.

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Is that a full spectrum LED plant light or just a white light LED aquarium light. They are useless for growing plants. These are full spectrum and as inexpensive as they get. LED Aquarium Light 24 30 36 40 42 48 52 60 inch Freshwater Saltwater Fish Tank | eBay

I believe its just a basic Marineland LED set, nothing special about it. That light you are linking me to doesnt ship to Canada, I will look for a dealer that will. In the meantime I ended up getting 2 10 watt LED Flood lights that are advertised as 6500K. Someone else is using them in a reef tank and he says his coral is growing nicely so hopefully these will work. If not I will use them outside, I need more flood lights out there, I live in a dark forest.

10W 20W 30W 50W 100W DAY Cool White LED Wall Pack Wash Flood Light Lamp Garden | eBay

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
Last update here, then I will be moving to the Help section until I understand these guys enough to come back here and be more involved with you guys. Again, thank you very much for the tips and advice. New lights will be here soon, and if I have to I will add a full spectrum bulb to the mix. New plants tomorrow as well. Carpet is gone, water level is raised, and I increased the intake on my filter a bit. FBNs will be here in another day or two.

Cheers!

Front_zpsbjiatl9p.jpeg

Top_zpski0dgv82.jpeg

Left%20Side_zpsw1qyygae.jpeg

Left_zpsdt9cmvl7.jpeg

Center_zps6s34bflg.jpeg

Right_zps7fpjvqve.jpeg

Right%20Side_zpspt1pumin.jpeg

GrumpaDirt

Reaction score
I just wanted to update with the new lights. I set them up on a piece of wood and hung them from the ceiling. They are 10 watt 6500K LED flood lights. I think they look like they are plenty bright enough. Huge improvement.

image%201_zpsznktohow.jpeg

image%202_zpsmeorcwfj.jpeg

image%203_zpsuhwrl2et.jpeg

gclama

Reaction score
You have a very nice set up with a nice variety of plants and plenty of hiding places. The only suggestion I can make is maybe one of those decorative rock caves for them hide in. The one in my tank is a crashed airplane on a reef. It lets them completely get out of the light if they please. You can see the tail section of mine in my picture.

Attachments

• 20150302_133704.jpg
    20150302_133704.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 424

crawdaddy

Reaction score
Just based off experience, I seem to notice that CFBN prefer no filter, due to living in still ponds in nature. I know that some people have been able to use filters with no problem, but my newts are happy with a 30% water change weekly with live plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1