Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire-belly fat, bloated, or pregnant?

jkpetey11

Reaction score
I have had these three fire-bellies for about a year now, and I have always observed when feeding and have never noticed one getting more food than the others. But lately this one in particular has gained TONS of weight. I know for a fact he doesn't get more food than the others because like I said I observe feeding, and I was informed that bloating affects the entire body not just the abdominal area. Is that true? I only have them in this small cup for comparison reasons, they live in a ten gallon. Can anyone give me an opinion or point me to a thread that will help? I'm not too concerned because he is not acting sick in any way and acts like a perfect newt :D But I don't understand how it could be pregnant because I thought you had to go through a whole ordeal to induce pregnancy. OH and his/her cloaca is not swollen, but it seems to jut/stretch out further than usual so i have no idea what sex it is. The other one has a very swollen cloaca hinting that it is a male while the other's is not. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,465
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,253
  • IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2,770

jkpetey11

Reaction score
Well that's surprising!! How do I know if they will be fertilized, or if they will just be blanks?? Can anyone point me to a reliable forum or link?? Because I have no idea what to do and I can't seem to find anything online. How do I ensure they will be fertilized?? Anything will help! Thanks for your help!!!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score

jkpetey11

Reaction score
Yup she was pregnant! :D Laying eggs all over the place. Now just gotta wait and see if they're fertile.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 941
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 916
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!