The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 14th December 2014   #1
Chinadog

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Odd coloured C. pyrrhogaster larvae?

Today I noticed this jet black larvae in the pyrrho tank. I've never seen one anything like it in the past, they've all been the usual dirty brown colour, like the one in the last picture, sometimes lighter, but never darker. I wonder if it's melanoid, although I don't suppose I'll know one way or the other being as though they all turn black soon after morphing. Just thought it was interesting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6170.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	40601   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6174.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	40602   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_6177.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	40603  

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2014   #2
Aaron
(ThoseNewtsTho)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Odd coloured C. pyrrhogaster larvae?

They look almost exactly like my H. orientalis larvae lol

Old 14th December 2014   #3
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

That's what I thought as soon as I saw it! It certainly isn't though, I don't have any orientalis.

Old 14th December 2014   #4
Stupot1610

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

It looks very like an H.orientalis larva. My H.orientalis have just started laying again, after only a months break after laying for just a few days short of 11 months! Anyway, it would be interesting to see how it turns out, even if it does just end up looking like the others.

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014   #5
Eva
(evut)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Mine sometimes look like that. I wonder if they are usually lighter to blend in on your light substrate.

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014   #6
Rodrigo
(Azhael)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Like every other species, they are polymorphic, there is a range of variation among individuals. I expect that little one will grow up to look like one of my females, so dark she looks almost black (unless it turns out to be male, in which case it will just look psychedelic, as they do).

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2014   #7
Chinadog

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evut View Post
Mine sometimes look like that. I wonder if they are usually lighter to blend in on your light substrate.
Maybe so, the larvae from the eggs you sent me were kept on a sand substrate and they were a very similar light brown colour.

Old 23rd December 2014   #8
Andrew
(Redear)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: Redear is an unknown quantity at this point

With orientalis and popei I have observed a slight variance in larvae coloration. They are usually jet black to dark brown. This was the first year I have bred pyrrhogaster and I was surprised by the color variation. Some where almost white and some where brown.

I actually got confused as to what they were and started separating them. I used plants from my marmoratus tank to set up my egg rearing tank and started thinking the lighter individuals were marmoratus larvae. (This despite no observed mating or eggs from them) As the larvae matured it became apparent they were all pyrrhogaster. I will say, I haven't observed any unique or differences in color since they morphed. But I was shocked to see the variability in the larvae.

Redear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2014   #9
Chinadog

Nationality:

There does seem to be considerable variation in the adults I've raised, but not until they mature, up until that point their skin just looks black. The males especially didn't look like they had the same parents, some ended up almost olive green while others were faintly spotted.
This is the first larvae I've had that could be described as jet black though, even the gills! I'm going to try and catch it next time I see it because I am curious about how it will turn out.
Another strange thing about it is it's size, it is already bigger than most larvae are when they morph, so maybe there's more to it than just colour?

Old 24th December 2014   #10
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Maybe it is something else?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014   #11
Chinadog

Nationality:

I did wonder that. The only way it could be anything else is if it came in on some live food, but it looks exactly like the other pyrrho larvae, just bigger and black.
It better not be anything else, Lisa will beat me to death with he siphon hose if I mention setting another tank up! :)