Fire Belly Newts and Red Spotted Newts

Quack

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tommy
I'm planning on setting up a tank for my Chinese Fire Belly Newt and then getting more CFBNs. I read in a book (I forget what the name was) that red spotted newts and CFBNs can live together. And I've decided that IF they can live together I'll put some red spotted newts in too. Would this be ok?

No. I am guessing you got your CFBN's from a pet store and in that case they would be wild caught. If you got notos from a petstore then they would be wild caught too. These two species come from two different continents and could introduce different diseases together. They are both similar in size but besides introduction of diseases, they may be aggressive towards each other.
This link shows different species mixing disasters including an eastern newt+Chinese firebelly newt(disaster 23).
On the top of the page it shows a male eastern newt trying amplexus with a chinese firebelly newt which could drown the chinese firebelly newt because it is not used to this kind of courtship.
Hope this helps you.

Ok thanks! I won't put them in with each other

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back