Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ATTENTION! Chat Events This Weekend #2

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
A second experimental event will be held this Friday, 25 September from 2045 to 2130 CST!
(That is 8:45pm to 9:30PM Central Standard Time (North America) for you 12 hour clock people!)

The topic for this event will be:

Building terrestrial vivaria for Caudates

As part of the experiment, the first half of the event will be for questions posted in this thread only!
Please post your questions PRIOR to the start of the event!

Abrahm

Reaction score
Someone should grab the chat log after the event so those who were not in attendance can check it out.

Aimee

Reaction score
Wow, this sounds like a very interesting topic! However, since I have no experience whatsoever in building terrestrial vivaria, I don't even know where to begin with questions.

What about material no-no's...? Maybe you experts out there can recount old disaster stories of materials that turned out to be hazardous or started to warp, etc.

A question like "What does a newbie need to know to get started?" seems a little too broad. Perhaps someone can better articulate a question that caters to us newbie vivarium architects :p

Last edited:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
That is a good start. We have some serious (and quite a few professional) vivariasts here and I am certain those questions will be addressed. I know I have some hysterical materials disaster stories from over the years. I may even recount the now infamous "Fruit Fly Incident of 1987" which you all will have to tune in to hear. You will realize what an amazingly tolerant couple my parents were with me as a young "home scientists"...:proud:

Here is my contribution to the questions:

What are the differences between terrariums, vivariums, paluadiums, and aquariums?

(I look forward to answering myself on this one;))

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be there to provide the comic relief. What do you call a newt with only 1 leg? Triturus trilegus. Thank you, thank you very much - I'm here all week.

Aimee

Reaction score
I am also curious about the pros and cons of different substrates and false bottoms for terrestrial caudates. Additionally, I have seen foggers that pet stores sell for ridiculous prices. What do you experienced caudate-keepers prefer as far as keeping your vivs at the proper humidity?

Sadly, a friend of mine just up and decided to celebrate her birthday this Friday evening (rude, I know :p) so I will not be able to be present for this chat event. However, I still hope that all goes well and that the discussion gets saved so that I can check it out later :happy:

Cheers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1