Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank! new friends!

RainbowPham

Reaction score
Hello friends. Im a member of bearded dragon.org so I have an idea how these forums work, and ive noticed you get better professional input! So I do have a few questions and im trying to upload a photo too but this forum is a little different. .

Question: in purchasing my fire belly toad (ive already looked for rehoming no luck) where would I go to find local breeders? If I cant find a local breeder who do you think is the best to order from online (im in youngstown ohio)

What kind of live plants are best?

What kind of light is proper, temperature, and most importantly water conditions like ph

My tank has been cycling for about a week now, ive added suggested fish chemicals and have yet to buy my ph tester and all that.. thanks for any advice!

its a 35 gallon hex with 13 gallons of water inside
a medium size turtle dock is floating inside now last pic kinda dark also have a half floating "beta log" ..

Attachments

• imagejpg1_zps98fae6a9.jpg
    imagejpg1_zps98fae6a9.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 846
  • imagejpg2_zps60183500.jpg
    imagejpg2_zps60183500.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 543
  • imagejpg1_zps0ef916fb.jpg
    imagejpg1_zps0ef916fb.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 532

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I don't know much of anything about frogs, but good luck. We are affiliated with a frog forum, frogforum.net - if no one here can help you, I'd try there.

RainbowPham

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I don't know much of anything about frogs, but good luck. We are affiliated with a frog forum, frogforum.net - if no one here can help you, I'd try there.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I like to stick to top rated forums, because they are swarmed with professionals !

I had originally wanted fire belly newts, and may even change my mind again... Just keep researching and comparing the pros and cons! Also the girlfriend and I have to come to a mutual agreement, lol

limnologist

Reaction score
Hello friends. Im a member of bearded dragon.org so I have an idea how these forums work, and ive noticed you get better professional input! So I do have a few questions and im trying to upload a photo too but this forum is a little different. .

Question: in purchasing my fire belly toad (ive already looked for rehoming no luck) where would I go to find local breeders? If I cant find a local breeder who do you think is the best to order from online (im in youngstown ohio)

What kind of light is proper, temperature, and most importantly water conditions like ph

My tank has been cycling for about a week now, ive added suggested fish chemicals and have yet to buy my ph tester and all that.. thanks for any advice!

a medium size turtle dock is floating inside now last pic kinda dark also have a half floating "beta log" ..

for online ordering, check out frogforum.net.
pothos, duckweed, pond lettuce, African water lily.
light isn't too impotant. temp should be around 75-80 F. water conditions should be any soft water treated with aquarium dechlorinater.

Pugnator

Reaction score
For aquatic part the best is pothos, it also help to reduce the frequency of water changing. Pothos is a very very strong plant and can be easy modelled. The bad side of pothos is that he grow very fast and quickly colonize all the aquatic part with root, some people doesn't like it but the root can be cutted and the root look very great. Also Anubias are fine plant but idk very much about it.
You doesn't need light for Bombinae. Regarding pothos it can grown also without light, but it will have smaller leaves. It doesn't need strong maintenance on water conditions, you will just have to decant the water 24 hours before add it to remove chlorine. You can if you want buy some product to have a better effect, they cost very little but are not strictly necessary. Regarding temperature it must never go over the 28 Celsius. The ideal and best temperature is between 22-26 °C in the day with a little less on the night. It anyway should not go under the 15 C (also if it is stressful for bombinae to have a temperature under the 18 grades on my opinion).. If you want to make it reproduce you should make them go on brumation, if you don't do them they will reproduce less likely but they will be able to do. Some frogs require brumation to live at his best but this is not the case of bombina, a bombina who had brumation will live as long as a bombina who hadn't.

Unless you don't want to wast money doesn't buy a ph tester and fish chemicals , they are useless.
Sorry but I suck at imperial system. Anyway they should have at least 8 cm deep water (or even little less) and they should always be able to stay half in water and half on land so your tank seem fine. How much is it longer ? Anyway remove any stone which is not too big to be swallowed or is too small to cause damage because if a Bombina swallow it could have very serious problem! Regarding hiding I think they could hide on pothos if you will add it or directly into the log and into the stones, so it seem fine to me but hiding are not my best. If you want to breed them they should need some moss or substrate where dig and stay but I've heard that they could brumate even on water, I've no idea if this is true, you should ask to someone more expert of me about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1