Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

URGENT: Can't get my tank to cycle?

katbeck99

Reaction score
So I got two axolotls last week, and I thought my tank was cycled when I put them in (this is my first time with any type of marine life animal). However, I've been testing my water and ammonia is still present, so I've been detoxifying the ammonia daily to keep the axolotls safe. I've added live plants and a chemical media in my filter made specifically to get rid of ammonia, and have been doing daily 50% partial water changes but I still can't get the cycle to finish. I don't know what to do. Please leave advice.

WalkingFish

Reaction score
You're tank with cycle overtime with what you're doing but if you want to speed up the process I'd go to your local pet store or fish store and get some beneficial bacteria to add to your tank

oohwitchywoman

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat right now, even with 50% water changes every 1-3 days. The water is really murky, but they still look and act healthy. I'm thinking of adding plants to the tank?

I didn't realize when i first got them how long the cycling was going to take, or how it was properly done. I've had them now a month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!