Any bad news with bait shop worms?

eldaldo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Patrick
I went fishing yesterday and have some nightcrawlers left over. I got them from a bait shop and was thinking I would feed them to my newts. I just wanted to make sure it was a good idea first, has anyone had any bad experiences with these? (I would of course chop them up) Thanks

I have had only good experiences with bait shop nightcrawlers, ecscept they are usually pretty long so you might want to cut the worms appropriately for the size of your newts.

I have used baitshop worms for 5 years without problems. With live food, there is always some risk that it will carry something, but I've not heard of any problems with live worms.

There was a member on the forum, it might have been Jeffrey, i dont exactly recall, who lost most of his caudates due to using bait shop worms. Though the risk is very very minute, i still think it is better to order online from a reputable source than to risk bait shop worms whose source is dubious at best.

James, I think that issue was with bad bloodworms. Or maybe we're talking two seperate incidences.

I've heard anecdotal stories of people having losses due to bait shop worms. I prefer to purchase my worms by the lb, keep them, and breed them so I know the conditions my worms were under when I used them for feed. I ordered 4lbs today that are being raised in rabbit manure. I'll keep them in good clean conditions for about a month to get the ammonia and rabbit manure out of them. I will then have a good giant size culture of producing worms to use for lots of food. I get the rabbit manure one because they always come in in looking great and only run me about 10.00 a lb.

have feed my axolotls on night crawlers from walmart for over 2 years with no problems and cheaper then at a bait store, i pay $2.50 for 2 dozen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back