Throwing up worms?

A

audrey

I have been hand feeding my juvenile strauchii cut up pieces of nightcrawler which he is eating well. However, I have now found that sometimes he throws the piece back up later. Does that mean the piece is too big? I wanted to try earthworms but no one has them around here right now. This is the first food that I have been able to get him to eat well, I tried black worms before and he didn't seem interested. Should I just make sure the pieces are really small? They have been less than a quarter inch.
Thanks

They could be too big. They also could be rotten inside or bad tasting because they were left out to long and are decaying. Usually they throw up them when they are annoyed. Have you tried digging up some earthworms?

I feed my strauchii cut up nightcrawler all the time. Sometimes they grab a piece that is too big and end up spitting it out, but this usually happens right away.

If you do find smaller worms to buy, beware that they might be "red wiggler" type worms, which have a very different smell/taste. Some newts reject them. In my opinion, you are probably better off sticking with the Canadian nightcrawlers.

I leave my nightcrawlers in the refrigerator. Could they still go bad? It has also been way to cold here to dig up worms. It has been warming up as of yesterday and today, but I don't know if its warm enough for earthworm digging.
I guess I don't know when he throws up. I watched him for a little bit after feeding but not too long. It wasn't right away though.
I guess I will try to cut the worm even smaller, but its already hard to hold with feeding tongs, maybe I'll try tweezers.
Thanks

I put my earthworms in a plastic shoe box with some holes in it. I put in some dirt that I know is pesticide free and let the worms live in that. I sore the box outside in a cool dark spot. I also think it is good for the worms to pass out all that they eat when they are raised and eat the cleaner dirt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back