Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Advice for an axolotl injured by tankmate

Yamid

Reaction score
Hi there,

recently i moved both of my axies into a large tank together (39 inches long, 15 1/2 width) I put in a divider as my wild type is smaller than my leucistic by about 25%. However, the mesh in the divider was big enough and the wild type squeezed through. I left them to it, as they wernt too bothered about each other, the occasional nip from both parties but that was it.
i went out the other night and when i came back something seemed really wrong. My wild was curved like a banana shape, with his back legs tucked against his body. On closer inspection, a flap of skin on his leg has been torn and is hanging off. My leucistic was also acting very strangely, she was on the opposite side of the tank trying to hide. Both were flapping their gills very fast.

This morning, the wild one has barely moved, and im just quite worried about him. His leg does not look broken, and i dont want to nudge him in case i hurt him (i can't even tell if he is alive or not)

Ive split their tank again, and im just hoping to doesn't decide to go over to the other side again. Ive never had a sick axie before, and im no too sure how to care for one. Should i just leave him to it and keep an eye on him?

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Make sure you keep the water cold, crystal clean, and the axie well fed. This is usually enough to ward off infection or fungus.

Keep an eye on the wound for the next few days. If you do notice signs of fungus (grey-ish white fluffy stuff) on the wound then you'll need to perform salt baths and fridge accordingly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!