Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Enough worms?

M

michelle

What is a good quantity worms to start cultivating? I have finally located some European Nightcrawler ( I had to call them that I always have a little chuckle when I hear Canadian Nightcrawler, sorry could not resist). I have found 5 lbs. for $70 plus I have not got a price on shipping Airmail to Canada yet. Is that enough to start a good culture of worms? I do not want to pay an arm and a leg if it is not enough. Can you imagine I live in Canada and can't get my hands on a Canadian Nightcrawler. How ironic. I need to vent.

J

jennifer

I think that is plenty to start a culture. I believe I started my "Euro" culture with only a pound or two. The tub I use is about 3x2x2 ft. in size.

M

michelle

I am going into town later in the day to buy containers for quarantine for my new edition and for European night crawlers. I am expecting them (the night crawlers) to be shipped anytime by Airmail & I have spent honestly more money than my budget can afford at the moment. But I said the heck with the budget.I won't eat but I'll have worms. Hey maybe I can eat the worms? Seriously though I cannot afford to lose these worms by bad culturing, I have seen the links for culturing worms but would like to know what people prefer to culture them in or what they find theirs reproduce the best in: soil (is that potting soil) or should I just go on a coconut fibre hunt? I am not sure if they sell it here or not. Any tips are appreciated. Oh can anyone tell me what Jenn has in her bin in the picture?

J

jennifer

I used to use coconut fiber, but decided it was too expensive to waste on worms. Now I use mostly peat moss (sold in garden shops). With peat, you have to be sure to add lots of powdered egg shells, to balance out the acidity of the peat.

If you are looking for coco-fiber, it is sold in "bricks" at pet shops in the reptile dept.

Potting soil contains all kinds of fertilizers, I'm not sure what effect that would have on worms. Also, peat moss is cheaper.

When you first get the worms, it's normal for a lot of them to try to "crawl away". Be sure there is some food in the bedding to keep them, and you might want to keep the lid on fairly tight at first.

Good luck, and don't eat the worms
smile6.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1