Phoenix Worms

F

foster

I was picking up some crickets and waxworms from Armstrong Cricket Farm (at a show) the other day and they had "Phoenix worms" for sale. I ask what exactly they are and was only told that they are a fly larvae and that the person who raises them lives in Georgia. I bought a couple of cups and fed them out to my various newts and lizards. In general they were well received however some individuals did spit them out after tasting them first.
Chip

Chip

I noticed these things advertised about a week ago as well. Given that I never buy anything I suspect I can't eventually culture myself and also how expensive they were, I passed on looking into them further. I found them first on "Dr. Phoenix's" web site, who must be the guy who raises them. There was no mention at all of any identification of what they were. Needless to say, I was fairly skeptical of a feeder insect that was being marketed with a brand name! I'm glad to hear you had a fairly positive experience with them, though.

Hey John,
After feeding them out several times this past week, I can definitely say that the herps and fish really seem to enjoy them. They are not very large however, the largest ones are around 2 cm max. I agree that these are not something that I would special order but rather pick up at shows to feed as a treat (like butterworms and silkworms).
Chip

Does anybody know if there is a risk of phoenix worms causing damage to morphs or adult herps? Does pinning them really work in diminishing risk?

Thanks

phoenix worms are very high in calcium, so don't feed them to often.

I got some at my local bait shop and they call them "spikes". The reason I got them was I have a very skinny paddletail that I can't get to eat. I think I paid $1 for aprox two dozen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back