Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tubifex worms --plant health

donpool

Reaction score
Hi, im Don, with a 10 gallon tank of 3 C. Orientalis. im just wondering, when i placed tubifex worms in my tank, some of them anchored at the base of my plants. after 1-2 days, i noticed that the plants with tubifex worms anchored became torn near the roots.
is it because of the tubifex worms?

Tigermoth

Reaction score
Hi Don, sounds like the tubifex are eating the plants around the base, you may need to carefully remove the affected plants before they decide to move on to other plants in your tank x

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tubifex worms eat bacteria on sediment particles so I doubt they are feeding directly on the plants. If the plants are already decaying they may be removing loose particles, creating the torn appearance. I don't think they have the mouth parts to attack healthy plant material.

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
These are plants in the newt tank?

Its more then likely caused by the newts trying to feed on the anchored worms ;)

Niels D

Reaction score
Not a stupid question an the answer is "no". If you don't want live tubifex within your substrate you can use a feeding jar (an empty jar which you put in a slight angle within your substrate). This way you can offer tubifex without them burrowing and hiding as soon at they're placed in your tank. You can also place a "feeding strip" in your tank.

Take a strip with the same length of your tank and 2 cm high and place this in the length of your tank 2 cm from the front to create a ridge. The strip can be made out of glass, plexyglass or other thin water resistant material. Use the bottem area "behind" the strip for your substrate but keep the are in front of the strip bare bottom. Use this area to place tubifex or blood worms on. They can't burrow anymore, because they're on a bare bottom area, and your animals can easily see them.

If you have a shorter strip, you can use this to keep one of the corners of your tank free from substrate so you have a feeding corner.

idontthinkso

Reaction score
Good idea Niels, but as far as i know newts can smell and dig up tubifex and thats fun to watch as well, or will they spoil the water / substrate?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1