Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Injured Axolotl! Please help!

Lashy337

Reaction score
Hey, I could really use some help! I went to feed my babies just now, and came to see that my baby Toothless has no skin on his right arm! I have no idea what happened, but I would guess that one of my other babies probably attacked him for some reason, even though this has never been a problem before. I obviously immediately put him in an isolation tank, but what do I do from this point on? Do I do a salt bath to aid healing? Is there some type of medicine to put in the water?

I want to make a tank divider and separate them in the big tank, obviously. But whom do I isolate? The attacker (I think I know which one did it), or the victim? For reference, I have three axolotls.

f0D1xrL

LoriML

Reaction score
I can't see the pic for some reason. So I'm not sure what size they are. I'd separate anyone not within in inch of the others.

You can keep it in fresh cool dechlorinated water and do daily 100% water changes. No need for a salt bath unless he gets fungus. I expect he'll heal just fine on his own with a little time and excellent water conditions. Keep us posted if anything changes.

Lashy337

Reaction score
f0D1xrL.jpg

Did that work? He is around 7-9 inches. Basically the same size as my other babies, just a tad longer.

Thank you for the help! I will be sure to keep up on water changes!

LoriML

Reaction score
Yes I can see it that time. There's nothing else that I would do for her personally. I would expect it to heal in a week or two as long as the water remains fresh and clean. But of course if anything changes give us an update. A tea bath could also be an option but I've never had to do one, so someone else may comment further on that.

Lashy337

Reaction score
What is a tea bath, and what does it do? I've heard of salt baths, but not tea baths.

For an update, before he was refusing to move around, even when I nudged him, but now he is swimming around the isolation tub, so he seems to be much better in that way already. :)

brightstar34

Reaction score
I hope he gets better soon. I wouldn't do a salt bath unless he got fungus.He should be
fine just having a daily water change as long as his tempt is cool.

LoriML

Reaction score
Tea bath will provide antibacterial aid and soothe the skin. But if he's improving, just watch him and take of the water, he'll be fine.

Lashy337

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thank you so much for all your help! That video was very helpful, thank you, but it seems Toothless won't be needing it just yet! (I will definitely keep that on hand for future reference, though, thanks!)

The isolation tank seems to be helping a lot already, look how much he has already healed!

VZXACV6.jpg

I'll just keep him in isolation for a while more, thanks for your help everyone!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!