Captive bred Aneides aeneus.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
The local media mentioned it in a newspaper article, so I don't think it's a secret any more.
Zoo helping to sustain salamander population - Toledo Blade

For the record, I do not believe that the Northern Slimy Salamander hatched at the zoo was the first time any salamander was bred in a zoo setting ;)

After many years of trying, I was finally successful at breeding Green Salamanders at the zoo. These were produced by a pair of adults that has been at the zoo since 2007.

Around 15 hatchlings survived and are doing well, just started eating springtails and pinheads.

Enjoy,
Tim

Attachments

• hatching A_aeneus.JPG
    hatching A_aeneus.JPG
    376.1 KB · Views: 1,840
Most excellent work, Mr. Herman:happy:

This is definitely a good start and great news. Are they from a known population, or at least known enough to be sure of what species they are [given the liklihood of greens being a complex of 3-4 species]?

Yes, I know where I collected them ;) They are not from a rare clade.

Awesome, well worth the wait to see these finally bred!

This is awesome! I was just googling images of green salamanders just for kicks and I get this. I have been bugging my boss to get me some greens, but he doesn't care too much for salamanders.

Hello Taherman,
May i request your advice and knowledge on keeping these Aneides aeneus?:D
how big enclosure is required, terrestrial, arboreal or semi-aquatic?
are they aggressive to each other?
what is the average temperature required to keep them healthy?
thanks

The local media mentioned it in a newspaper article, so I don't think it's a secret any more.
Zoo helping to sustain salamander population - Toledo Blade

For the record, I do not believe that the Northern Slimy Salamander hatched at the zoo was the first time any salamander was bred in a zoo setting ;)

After many years of trying, I was finally successful at breeding Green Salamanders at the zoo. These were produced by a pair of adults that has been at the zoo since 2007.

Around 15 hatchlings survived and are doing well, just started eating springtails and pinheads.

Enjoy,
Tim

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back