Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worms in the water

jessica

Reaction score
When doing a water change earlier today I noticed little white worms in the water. At first I thought they were just little skin fragments, but on closer inspection I noticed they were tiny pale white worms. Seemed like they only had longitudinal muscles cause they squirmed and wiggled. I'm thinking they are some sort of nematode, living underneath the rocks in Puck's tank

Puck, my axy, still seems healthy. He eats regularly, swims around, his gills are a good color, occasionally gulps air. However, his poop seems to be larger than before, like he's pooping more than usual.

Anyone have any inkling as to whats going on, and what I can do to help.

jessica

Reaction score
I am certain they are some sort of annelid, they crawl like an earthworm would.

I've tried more frequent water changes and getting debris out, but nothing seems to be helping. Is there anything else, like something I could add to the water, that would help get rid of the worms?

M

mark

Hi Jessica,

My tank has become overrun with the same/similar worm. Did you manage to get rid of them?

kapo

Reaction score
How often do you feed, how much and how often do you clean the tank? Check out the link above that Jen posted

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1