Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding blackworms to NVV and CFBN

W

wyatt

i have six NVV and 1 CFBN. since crickets would be much of a hassle i was wondering if blackworms are appropriate for these species? how many should i feed them in one feeding? the CFBN is in a mostly aquatic enclosure and is about an inch and a half long. all the NVV are in a similar tank and are fully adult at various lengths, mostly three and a half inches or so. how often should i feed? can i culture these? do they breed fast enough? any advice on these topics or the species please tell me!

J

jennifer

I know several people who have tried to culture blackworms, including me. With a 3-4 week doubling time, they reproduce too slowly. There is fairly detailed information, including links to information on culturing them here:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml

What kind of substrate is in the tanks (gravel, bare bottom, pebbles)? Blackworms will quickly burrow into any substrate and just live there. This makes them rather impractical as a staple food source if you have gravel.

Have you checked your local bait shops and Walmart for nightcrawlers? These are cheap, convenient, and most newts love them. (See Part II of the article linked above.)

W

wyatt

aren't nightcrawlers too big for cfbn? can i culture these? thanks!

K

kaysie

not if you chop them, and no, they're practically impossible to culture at home. I only pay $1 for a dozen of them, and 4 worms feed all 11 of my animals.

W

wyatt

what foods can i culture for my newts? if i can't culture anything then i am getting bloodworms. i thought i heard of somebody culturing nightcrawlers. i was wondering how midge flies look? are they dangerous? can i breed them? because bloodworms are healthy enough, right?

K

kaysie

you can culture red-wigglers, but some newts refuse these because they give off a bad odor and/or distasteful mucus. However, my animals all eat them gladly.

J

jennifer

Wyatt, I've gave you the link to the worms article twice, and you are still asking questions that are answered in that article. I quit.

W

wyatt

sorry, jen. i think i have decided to culture some type of worm, like leaf worms(as the article says). some other sites show how to culture these.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1