Living on the coast sucks.

R

rachel

Yes, I attempted to find a baitshop selling earthworms today and was sadly disappointed. Bait shops in Santa Barbara only sell fish for bait.
Apparently marine fish aren't too crazy about worms. I'd go dig some up, but I'm not convinced my landlord doesn't use pesticides, or hasn't in the past, and I'm also worried about spillover from the neighbors and the high school behind the house. To top it all off, we live in a chapparel scrub desert, and I would have to dig several feet in some place I wasn't authorized to be digging huge holes in, in order to find worms. Oh yeah, and the nearest WalMart is 50 miles down the coast.

So, any other ideas for locating earthworms?

I guess if you are desperate, you could mail order them. Unfortunately, the shipping charges up the price a lot, but they'll keep for a long time in the fridge. Check out nyworms.com, wormman.com, bestbait.com, beaverbait.com, etc. Even ebay has live worms sometimes.

I would try to get nightcrawlers and not red wigglers if you do order online. IME newts sometimes reject the red wigglers.

you might even go as far as trying a worm bin. I'm doing that with red wigglers(for fish) and it has went well so far.

You might want to just open up a directory, call up the fish shops and ask for 1)tubifex 2)nightcrawlers or 3)waxworms. I doubt that Santa Barbara would not cater to live foods required to keep exotic fish alive.

It took me a bit of searching around, but eventually I found a few in my area.

Also, take heart. California is the home of the Taricha.

I like the fact that the nearest WalMart is 50 miles away!
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back