Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

GBR Press: Rare newt holds up redevelopment

W

wes

<u>MANSFIELD CHAD</u> (UK) 26 April 06 Rare newt holds up redevelopment}
A multi-million re-development scheme at Southwell's Brackenhurst College had to be halted because of newts, it has been revealed this week.
Wildlife experts were called in to move the Great Crested Newts –– one of Britain's most protected species –– after they were discovered on the site of the college's all-new student village.
A fence had to be put up around the site while the newts were safely relocated and the area then monitored to make sure they did not return.
The whole exercise cost around £150,000 and college dean David Butcher told a meeting of Southwell Town Council on Wednesday: "We care about the environment, we teach courses about the environment so I think it was vital that we did all that.
"They are probably the most protected species in the UK. You can be fined £5,000 for just touching one."
Building work on the student village is now expected to be finished in the summer and is part of a wider £15m construction programme.
Brackenhurst –– which is part of Nottingham Trent University –– was traditionally an agricultural college but has now expanded to cover a range of animal and environmental sciences.
A £3m teaching block has already been completed while the accommodation for 300 students and a new road into the site are due to be completed at a cost of about £11m.
The new road, which is also expected be finished in the summer, will replace Brackenhurst Lane and will eventually be handed over to Nottinghamshire County Council to maintain.
"That is a key aspect of the planning of the place simply because Brackenhurst Lane is extremely dangerous," Mr Butcher told the meeting. "That will mean we will have a much more safe and secure site."
The re-development also includes a £1.5m complex for the teaching of veterinary nursing from next year and will mark the end of the major project.
Added Mr Butcher: "There has been lots of change but we are beginning to come to a more stable period — it has been a very turbulent time."
http://www.mansfieldtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=722&ArticleID=1465765

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1