Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New book on keeping and breeding newts and salamanders

sergé

Reaction score
Doing some free advertisement :) but I think you would like to know ;-)

We (Frank Pasmans, Henry Janssen and Max Sparreboom) have combined our knowledge on keeping and breeding newts and salamanders together with help from experienced friends like Henk Wallays and Arnaud Jamin.
We wrote a handbook that covers the key aspects to keep salamanders, newts and caecilians healthy and to propagate them in captivity, with the aim to provide not only hobbyists but also institutions (zoos, universities, etc.) with practical guidelines for establishing captive colonies.

Thanks to the excellent editorial work by Axel Kwet and our publishing house Natur und Tier Verlag, Münster the work is finally finished!

In the Year of the Salamander 2014, we can proudly present our book which will be in the shops in October!

It will be there in an English edition see Chimaira Buchhandels GmbH - Newts & Salamanders – Keeping and Breeding Newts & Salamanders – Keeping and Breeding

and a German edition Natur und Tier Verlag: Molche und Salamander - halten und züchten

xxianxx

Reaction score
Saw this book on Facebook last night, have all ready pmd my dad the link, save him wondering what to buy me for Christmas. :)

sergé

Reaction score
Salamanders of the Old World is a totally different book. For a start it is not a terrarium book which this one is. But indeed Max Sparreboom is a co-author in our team and so staring in both :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just ordered my copy. :) Maybe Santa will bring me the Salamanders of the old world book if I'm good, I've really missed the website since it went off line.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I made a drastic stop to the hobby ,which lasted 8 weeks .I now have started again and I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of this book,super excited!!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I can't wait either! Well, I'll have to I suppose, I got an email telling me the book wont be dispatched 'till next Friday. :(
I haven't ordered the Salamanders of the old world one yet, I'm going to sort out some treasure for ebay over the weekend to fund it.

sde

Reaction score
Wow! This book looks great, definitely on my Christmas list too.

Also, is the "Salamanders of the old world" book available in the U.S.A.? I can't find it for sale here. Can anybody else?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Got my copy in the post today, had a quick flick through it on my lunch break and it looks beautifully illustrated. I can't wait to look through it properly later when I get cleaned up!
Haven't ordered Salamanders of the old world yet, but I will do by the end of the month. :)

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I should have mine by the end of the week. I found it at what seems to be a discounted price.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I really like the book you released last year Serge, 1 of my 2 favourites the other one is " Threatened newts and salamanders of the world captive care"
I haven't bought the spareboom old salamanders one yet

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm very happy with my copy, it was easy to read, even though it's a translation and the pictures are really nice. The choice of species covered in detail is good and relevant, I found the table for identifying different Paramesotriton especially handy as I struggle to tell some of them apart, sometimes. There are also some good tips for cleaning and preparing live food as well as correct feeding for new metamorphs and terrestrial juveniles that I'm trying with this years baby pyrrhos. Well worth the money in my opinion. :)

caleb

Reaction score
I'm very impressed with the book too.

It's nice to see lots of habitat shots- I've not seen many of these in husbandry books before. Also photos of practical stuff, like feeding with sieves, rubber rings etc. A nice surprise to see caecilians in there too.

There did seem to be a few translation issues- use of 'ammoniac' instead of 'ammonia' in several places, 'potworms' instead of 'whiteworms' etc.

It did seem a bit odd to have six pages on Lyciasalamandra, then to end with 'keeping them in terraria cannot be recommended'- wouldn't it have been better to give more space to species that do better in captivity?

An index would have been nice, too.

Overall, though, I'd highly recommend it- I don't know of any other book that covers the subject in so much detail.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I got my copy yesterday. It was under 50.00 which seemed like a discounted price to me. I looked at all of the pictures and read the first chapter today. I'm impressed with what I have seen so far.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!