Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axie momma

MommaK

Reaction score
Hey all!! I am looking to age a tank for an axie I'm getting these coming weeks!!! I'm wondering mainly about food. Can I have shrimp and insect larve established in his tank so he can "hunt" his food when hungry? Like mini colonies? Or would it be better to introduce his food? I'll have some algae and plants and hiders... I'm doing a fine sand substrate with bubblers and filtration depending on if I have colonies or not

tipnatee

Reaction score
How big is your axolotl? If less than 6 inches , I vote for live aquatic black worms ( since you already have sand and bubbler ) they will house them self in sand and stick their bodies out like grass . Super easy to care for and axolotl love them cause they're highly nutritious and easy to eat. If your axolotl bigger than 6 inches I suggested small European Nightcrawler cause they are bigger and last in water longer than red wiggerler . As far as shrimps goes , glass shrimp is fun to watch axie hunt but shrimp too quick for axolotl to catch, your axie might starve to death before it happen. One other in tank feeder that I just came to enjoy feeding axie is the tree frog tadpoles cause they eat algae. Insect larvae .... I would say wax worm and the small horn worms are my favorite for hand feeding only. Those are my axie favorite snacks.

Of course that's just my personal opinion ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!