Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amphibian Pond

Cloppy

Reaction score
So I have dug a sloping area in my backyard for a small amphibian pond, I will keep this thread updated with my progress. You cannot tell from the photos, but It has a total of about 8 inches of slope, the deepest at the center.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a lovely project. I am looking forward to seeing what takes advantage of your new pond. Do keep adding photo's :D

Cloppy

Reaction score
Oops, the photos did not upload with the post here are the photos:

Attachments

• CIMG1558 (1).JPG
    CIMG1558 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 341
  • CIMG1559.JPG
    CIMG1559.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 233

Cloppy

Reaction score
This was just after a dug it, I have since put a heavy duty, waterproof, sunproof, tarp as a cheap liner.

Cloppy

Reaction score
The tarp is in, 2 rains have happened this is what the future breeding grounds are looking like:

Attachments

• CIMG1574.JPG
    CIMG1574.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
  • CIMG1575.JPG
    CIMG1575.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 216

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you got any small branches/ twigs in there as well? And maybe some places for them to hide around the outer edges, like bark/ wood/ rocks.. I am really looking forward to seeing what turns up here, and I may be getting a little carried away with this :D

What caudates would you expect to come and use your pond, it might be a bit of fun ( for me) to make a little list here of what you might find on this post.

Also, if you make a little note of the weather conditions and dates of when you see any animals and when they breed, I would find that really interesting. And don't forget the photo's :happy:

I'll stop now as I feel maybe I'm being a tad demanding :blob:

Cloppy

Reaction score
Well, based on what is in my area, definitely American Toads, Fowler's Toads, Cope's Gray Treefrogs. Also a possibility of spring peepers, pickerel frogs and pine woods treefrogs.

Cloppy

Reaction score
Well, it is Feb 17 atm, Been raining for the last 5 days straight, and yesterday and today the temperature was 65-ish degrees, and lo and behold, take break from watching the olympics to listen to the frogs, and look what I found in the pond. First pick is a mix of spring peeper and upland chorus frog eggs, second pic is a southern leopard frog, third pic is an upland chorus frog. Will have American and Fowler's toads later in the year.:D

Attachments

• CIMG1612.JPG
    CIMG1612.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 220
  • CIMG1613.JPG
    CIMG1613.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 221
  • CIMG1614.JPG
    CIMG1614.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 207

Cloppy

Reaction score
Also found the first snake of the year yesterday, looking forward to many field herping posts. :)

Cloppy

Reaction score
Have developed a leak in that pond, So I have no good images, But their is 10 or so Bronze Frogs that seem to be permanent residents, and In Early July I had a Cope's Gray Treefrog pair breed and tadpoles hatched and metamorphosed in about 6 weeks. I am going to move thta pond to a different location in my backyard this winter, to a place where it will get more sunlight.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1