Votes: 9 45.0%

• Total voters

Anonymous User

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would choose the Mazama Newt only because it is a rare subspecies

Last edited:
All of them. I keep two of the Taricha species and they are both cool. I’ve also seen the other two species that I don’t keep. Taricha in general are a great genus, I can’t choose just one.

T. g. mazamae isn’t a legitimate subspecies. There are animals with dark markings found at various areas throughout the Cascade mountain range in Oregon and Washington, and elsewhere. Most scientists don’t consider it a ssp anymore for that reason. In reality, T. granulosa with dark markings aren’t all that uncommon. I’ve found plenty of them, and know of populations that have a high number of dark marked individuals (outside of Crater Lake).

I am partial to granulosa, mainly as it's the only ones I have :happy:

Attachments

• 20171207_132320.jpg
    20171207_132320.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I also keep two species, torosa and rivularis. My group of torosa went aquatic when I got them and have stayed that way ever since. I have them in one of my larger display tanks; and I love to watch them "waddle-swim" around. Definitely one of my favorite species to watch.

Rivularis are damn beautiful looking; but also are one of the most secretive animals I keep. And I keep caecilians. Once in a blue moon I will catch them out looking to take a quick dip in the water dish or grab at bug; but otherwise it is a large tank with cork bark and moss in it. :D

I feel those who voted rivularus have never kept the species.

Rivularis followed by Torosa for me. I grew up herping for them, love hiking the remote and rugged areas favored by T. rivularis. I do think Torosa are a lot more engaging to keep but both species are some of the easiest larvae I've ever raised.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back