Just Starting Out

cougar94

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. My name is Denise and I'm new to this forum. I am the owner of 2 Eastern newts by the name of Mutt and Jeff. (had 3 but Henry died 3 weeks ago). I just started collecting Eastern newts this year. I did some hard research before I started collecting them and can't tell you I lost 7 before I got the hang of things. Oh I should let it be known that I buy my newts, I don't take them out of the wild. I have a 5 1/2 gallon tank with rocks for substrate (had sand) and the newts love it. The tank has drift wood, plants and a basking area (which they hardly use anymore since I put in the rock substrate. I use an under water filter and everything seems to be just fine. I feed them newt pellets and frozen blood worms which they love. I have a screen cover and a little light for the tank also. I plan on getting a 10 gallon tank because I would like to get 2 more Eastern newts for my collection. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back