Question about A. opacum

J

jennifer

Does anyone know what an A. opacum looks like just after it morphs? How long until it gets the typical adult coloration? I am raising some probably-opacum that are just morphing. I want to get a positive identification of what they are. They are gray with light speckles.

Hi Jen,
If you have a copy of Petranka's book there is a picture of a newly morphed opacum in there. WHen I raised them it took several weeks to a couple of months (depending upon the individual) to attain a adult pattern.
Ed

Hai Jennifer having raisen them twice from larvae till adults (I got eggsacs) I can tell they do look black with lots of white speckles before they start to develop that beautifull white color

Here's an image of a juvenile with a hooktail, some month after they metamorphosed
http://www.pbase.com/image/12400165

Hi Jen,

in my description of Husbandry and Breeding of A.opacum I showed a picture of the newly transformed A.opacum. It is in Germany, but you can look at the pictures. Meanwhile it was published on the net. go: http://www.amphibien-net.de/berichte_index.htm and there A.opacum. It is picture (Bild) 8 you are looking for.
I hope to get this article sometimes published in English.

see you

Uwe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back