Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Identification

O

orca800

Hi:

My name is Luis. I have this photos of my 2 Ambystomas, but I don't know what species they are. Can you hel me?

One of them start the metamorphosis about 2 weaks ago.

Sorry about my english.

url]

url]

url]

J

jenny

Not sure what they are but do they have something so that they can come out of the water if they want to?

O

orca800

Yes they have now. When one of them changed I made an acuaterrarium to make they feel beter.

Could be A. mexicanum? or is an A. tigrinum?

C

cynthia

Hi Orca ,

Are you saying they were the same before? Did the one that change look just like the one that still has gills?

Not that I know anything I am just curious
happy.gif

M

mik

I don't think any of those are A. Mexicanum and am not sure about A.tigrinum either.

Orca please post your piccys in the main forum, General Discussion from Memebers or the photo gallery there are more people in there with other types of caudata and should be able to tell you what they are.

J

jennifer

They are not axolotls (A. mexicanum). I have never seen any sal with that color pattern. Tiger sals can be quite variable, so that is a possibility. Where did you get them? What country are you in?

B

brian

I think those are the mexican species of Tiger Salamander(A.velasci). The larvae look about right, and the colour pattern is similar enough.

Salamanders are hard to identify without a hands-on examination. It's particularly bad with Ambystoma salamanders because of a high rate of hybridization within the Genus.

J

jarred

I am no expert but could it be Ambystoma Maculatum. The spotted salamander.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!