Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen salmon

nivar

Reaction score
I've been feeding my tigers frozen salmon for a year now. The first thing you need to do is buy a salmon fillet then cut a piece cook it and eat it, if it’s not bony then its safe (don’t cook for the salamanders). While frozen you can cut some pieces the size of an almond, run under some warm water then you’re ready to feed. You can use your fingers or plastic tweezers. This is ok 1 time a week. I have 4 tigers and 1 fillet lasts about 6 months

K

kaysie

Meagan, based on your other posts, I'd say your supply of food options is rather limited.

If you use fresh salmon, then it's probably ok. But using frozen/thawed fish can lead to issues with thyroxine (I think. Ed?).

J

jennifer

It's thiamine that's deficient in some fish, but I can't remember which kinds of fish. As a general rule, any kind of pure muscle tissue, whether it's fish filet, beef heart, whatever, is likely to be deficient in some nutrients. It's OK as an occasional food, but I wouldn't recommend it as a staple.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1