Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photo: My baby dwarf/short leucistic!

Karatts

Reaction score
Yesterday my LFS got a new shipment of axies in. I saw this baby and fell in love instantly but I was a little concerned because she was so round, stubby and her head was so big compared to her body. I even compared her to the other axies she arrived with, just to be sure I wasn't seeing things. I decided to do a little more research before I brought her home so I left. This morning I looked it up a bit and it turns out she's actually a dwarf/short leucistic! I thought she was a bit bloated when I first saw her, but I checked her out again today and her roundness had gone away because she pooped. Since she was fine and just naturally stubby, I decided to take her home. Anyways, here she is!

karatts-albums-my-axolotls-picture38796-april-14-2016.jpg

karatts-albums-my-axolotls-picture38798-april-14-2016.jpg

I'm not sure if you can tell from her photos but her torso is only slightly longer than her head and her back legs are very close to her front legs. In person, it's really clear that she's a dwarf/short. I'm really excited to see how she grows up!

SammyTheLotus

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I had no idea they could even come in dwarf size! She is seriously sooooo cute, look at that tiny little body! ?❤️ Post lots of pics of her because she's absolutely precious!

Donna001

Reaction score
I didn't know that there was such a thing as a dwarf axolotl. So much adorableness concentrated into such a tiny body. So, so, so cute, and looks so determined and sassy in the second picture. :happy: :love: :happy:
Please post lots more pictures and keep us updated on her progress. :D

Karatts

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, I had no idea they could even come in dwarf size! She is seriously sooooo cute, look at that tiny little body! ��❤️ Post lots of pics of her because she's absolutely precious!

I didn't know that there was such a thing as a dwarf axolotl. So much adorableness concentrated into such a tiny body. So, so, so cute, and looks so determined and sassy in the second picture. :happy: :love: :happy:
Please post lots more pictures and keep us updated on her progress. :D

I will keep both of you updated! :) I'm definitely going to be posting lots of pictures of her here and in my album. I thought she was ill the first time I saw her because she was so round from food and because her body was so small. But I did some googling and it turned out there were such things as dwarf/short axies. Also apparently there's also mini axies, axies that stop growing at around 5-6". There's a few documented cases of axies out there with these sort of misgrowths but they're pretty rare. They also have shortened life spans because of it. :eek: I can't wait to see how she'll turn out! There's a couple variations of dwarf/short axies I've seen so far through searching :)

AristotleA

Reaction score
She is absolutely adorable! You're very lucky, that is a rare axolotl you have there.

Sent from my SM-G910S using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1