Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lighting and juvenile growth

justin

Reaction score
I had been gone for a few days and someone unplugged my lights/timer for the newts. I found when I returned that some of the juveniles reacted very well to the temporary darkness (depite them having constant hiding spots available) and switched completely aquatic when I was gone. Those are now about 50% larger in a weeks time. I was just wondering if anyone else saw changes like that based on temporary irregularities in they light cycle. The ones I am mentioning are C. e. popei, but nearly all my C. cyanurus also morphed and returned aquatic (though they still have a small bit of gills still) as well. The cyanurus morphed very large, right around the size of a small adult orientalis.
j

al

Reaction score
I've not heard of studies done with photoperiods and growth of larva. I know it appears too much light can stress any animal out. It is important when dealing with a tank that has a lighted top, to have much plant coverage and dark area for the dwellers.
It may be you have just notice typical growth after not seeing them for a week.
When we had no power for a week due to an ice storm, my tank room had no lights or filtration for a solid week. The temperatures dropped in the 40's and I did not feed them. Every species seemed to go into breeding and I had many eggs that season (the only positive thing of the ice storm!
smile6.gif
)
In all I keep all my lights on a central timer clock. I monitor the photo period and keep the tanks lights on to a minimum while working with the little natural light they get from a west facing window.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1