Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are my axolotls morphing? Help!

Eme

Reaction score
Hi, I recently got my axolotl and set them up in a cycled tank with a filter, minimal water disturbance, hides, correct water parameters, a temp at 67F, and washed pool filter sand. I always treated the water with prime because I live in a city and the water has ammonia in it. They were fine for the first two weeks but then I started to notice them digging into the sand. I believe that caused a nitrite spike because they released gas. Almost immediately the albino began losing gill feathers. I did constant water changes to get the parameters back but they kept losing Gill feathers. I then noticed a fungus beginning to grow which was due to poor parameters I believe so I switched them to a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone so I could keep them cooler in the basement, in the dark, and perform salt baths. I did it and the fungus seemed to disappear but by then all their feathers were gone. Their tails were not curled though. Then they lost their appetite even though I still attempt to feed them daily. I’m now on my third day of ice baths. I’m afraid they might be morphing and I don’t know how to stop it. I change their bucket daily and give them two salt baths each day. Their gills seem to be shrinking and I’m not sure if that’s because there is too much air in the water or something else. Also, the black one seems to be losing its slime coat. They are less than a year old right now. I would really like to keep them fully aquatic, yet despite having correct parameters in their quarantine bucket I feel that the opposite is happening. I also switch their water after they eat (or in this case, don’t eat). I’ve tried feeding them night crawlers, red wigglers, and red worms to no avail. Please help! Before and after pics attached. Thanks in advance!

https://ibb.co/jTSsmo
https://ibb.co/hpo9XT
https://ibb.co/bBqOsT

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Do you have a way to test the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite?

Eme

Reaction score
Yes, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates under 40 currently. Ph 7

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Do some water changes to drop those nitrates. You said that the tank they were in had bad water parameters, do you know what the levels were for that? I would say what you're seeing is the effect from being in a crashed tank.
If you keep them in the tub with regular water changes they should heal up. It can take some time, keep offering food. You shouldn't need to fridge them unless they are constipated. What do you mean when you say you give them ice baths?
The cooler the water they are in the less likely they are to eat, so keep that in mind when they are not eating. I would say try and keep the water around 60-65 degrees, that should be enough to heal.
Gills do shrink when there is too much oxygen in the water. I would take the air stone out. The water changes you do should be putting enough oxygen into the water. In the temporary tub how much % of water are you changing daily?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!