Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Clawed Frog update

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
After a few weeks, Hook and Shadow are growing fast! They are nearly half an inch or maybe even a full inch bigger now. They have also been shedding a lot. I have noticed that Shadows coloring is starting to darken. Is this a result of the Chytrid fungus? I have read that while it commonly occurs in African Clawed Frogs, it won’t kill them. Could it be responsible for the change in pigmentation? Also Shadows eyes are still blue, should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 59BB12CF-5189-4C52-AFB0-D6A7B153BEDD.jpg
    59BB12CF-5189-4C52-AFB0-D6A7B153BEDD.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 654
  • A9BAEE33-FF80-410D-B7CA-A80AA73E7F6E.jpg
    A9BAEE33-FF80-410D-B7CA-A80AA73E7F6E.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 431
  • 8906A622-A428-4E36-9FD5-B74C7B5B68CE.jpg
    8906A622-A428-4E36-9FD5-B74C7B5B68CE.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 439

xxianxx

Reaction score
Lighting levels effect colouration of clawed frogs, they darken as lighting levels drop. It's most noticable with wild types than light coloured ones. Whilst chytrid can be carried without any symptoms by this species if it does appear the skin will turn reddish, hence the term "red leg". Don't concern yourself with the reddish tinge of the light ones feet in the pic, that's fine. Without testing you won't know if your frogs have chytrid. This species can be heat treated to remove it.

RoreyRoreyRorey

Reaction score
Shadow scared me bad. Saturday night, her legs started spasming uncontrollably and she was floating on surface. From what I read on the site, it didn’t sound like there was anything I could do. But the next morning she was absolutely fine. She is still fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1